Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Adder Bites Girl

This is the Scottish Ambulance Service's medivac helicopter shortly after it took off from the Community Centre playing field at 5.30pm on Saturday.  It had been called out to take a ten-year old girl to hospital after she'd been bitten by an adder.  Apparently, she had picked it up.

An adder bite on a  child is much more dangerous than on an adult as the same amount of venom is diffused through a much smaller body.  On the other hand, children usually recover quicker than adults.

An information sheet about how to deal with adder bites is available on Dropbox.  It can be downloaded here.

1 comment:

  1. I was up at the Old Parish Church (St Cognan's) last month and nearly stood on an adder which was curled up at the entrance to the burrow it was occupying, which was directly underneath a gravestone. There appeared to be lots of burrows underneath gravestones up there, and although i'm not suggesting they are all adders', it may be worth having a warning sign to prevent a similar situation happening that happening to the poor girl.