Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Giffnock vs Kilchoan - Match Report

 In a rematch of last year's close encounter, Kilchoan FC travelled to Glasgow to face off with Giffnock Crocks in conditions that wouldn't of been out of place in Barcelona.  After coming so close last year, Kilchoan were determined to go one better and fielded a strong side, despite missing key players such as Gus Maclean and Gordon Mackenzie to work commitments.

The match started off well, with both sides testing each other in the opening stages. Finally, the deadlock was broken with a thunderous strike from Kilchoan's Mark Dornan. Picking it up in the centre of midfield, Dornan eased past several Crocks before firing the ball into the far top corner, leaving the keeper helpless.

Despite going into the lead, Giffnock continued to threaten Justin Cameron's goal and soon drew level with a unstoppable shot. Giffnock's experience told during the build up to the goal, as they passed the ball and found spaces with ease.  The heat played a massive part throughout the match, with breaks in play being used to take on water.

Kilchoan retook the lead through Iain Macdonald midway through the first half. Another mazy run from the midfield saw Macdonald find enough space to strike and, with the help of a slight deflection, hit the net.  The second goal built up Kilchoan's confidence as they began to use their significant speed on the wings to conjour up several more opportunities.

It wasn't until close to half time that the visitors made it 1-3, however. A cheeky Craig Lindsay shot from distance was clumsily spilt by the Giffnock goalkeeper and Calum John Macphail pounced for his first goal of the season, to give Kilchoan a commanding and well deserved two-goal lead at half time.

The second half saw Kilchoan continue in the same fashion as they finished in the first. Even when threatened by the Crocks, Kilchoan's defence and, in particular, Cameron in goals kept the home side at bay.

On 55 minutes, Kilchoan added to their lead with another fine strike. Macdonald volleyed in his second of the game from just inside the penalty area. However, the boys were soon reminded that there was still plenty time left in the match, as Giffnock snatched a goal back straight from the restart, making light work of the sleeping defence.

Giffnock continued to threaten but caught Justin Cameron in superb form as he continued to deny them with some breathtaking saves.
As the game came into it's closing stages, Kilchoan retook their three-goal lead. A long range pass by Lindsay from inside his own half landed perfectly for Macphail who managed to bundle past the keeper for his second of the match. 

Despite a late Giffnock goal, Kilchoan held out for a fine 3-5 win. The victory saw Richard Van De Peer presented with The Poonanny Cup at the post match reception. Justin Cameron was voted Man of the Match by his teammates. 

Attention now turns to the first league match of the season, with Iona visiting Kilchoan on Saturday 22nd June. Kick off is at 7.00pm. Go on down and support the boys!

Report and pictures from Craig Lindsay - many thanks, Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment