The church was restructured around 1763, but finally abandoned some time before 1831, when the present parish church was opened.
Historic Scotland, but the upkeep of the site, such as the grass cutting and health and safety within it, is in the hands of Highland Council. During a recent visit by Council officials, they noticed two cracks in the lintel over the doorway. At their request, the Community Council has closed the doorway.
While it is the responsibility of Historic Scotland to maintain this building, they are desperately underfunded and have hundreds of other sites equally deserving of their money and attention. If anything is to be done about the doorway, the initiative has to come from within the community.
There's more about St Comghan's on the MacIain site, here.