Monday 12 January 2015

A 1970s Guide Book


Many thanks to Alistair S. for letting me have a digital copy of this 1970s guide book published by Stanley and Madge Wilson who lived at Camas Inas.  Alistair writes, "Either my parents or I bought the booklet quite some time ago but, if it was me, then it’s been to Africa, the USA and is now finally back in the UK.

"Pre my present-day travels, I visited Ardnamurchan only once and that was back in the 70s. I recall the bar at the hotel was renowned for its enormous whisky collection which I think was stacked up behind the bar. The road north (A 861) was just recently opened at the time and I think the road to Ardnamurchan lighthouse was a track."

I understand that the Wilsons died some years ago, so the Diary is republishing the booklet on the internet in the sincere hope that this does not offend anyone close to the Wilsons, and in the hope that reading it will give some enjoyment to everybody, and especially to people who remember the peninsula in those days.

The booklet can be downloaded here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for access to this booklet. I have been visiting the peninsula since 1958, though prior to 1979 it was mostly to Morvern. We now have a lodge at Resipole which we enjoy year round. I check in to your blog every few days when we are at home in Lanarkshire.

    ReplyDelete