These four pictures come from a walk we did in January which explored the area to the west of Ben Hiant. The walk took just over two hours, yet in that time we passed a wealth of history waiting to be interpreted. This area is fortunate that many structures in the past were built, at least in part, in the local stone. So, although they may now lie in ruin, their outlines are left as evidence on the landscape.
This first pile of stones is all that remains of a small house that was part of the clachan of Skinnid. In 1727 the settlement was home to nine families, a total of forty-six people, yet the people of Skinnid were cleared from their homes early in the 19th century, and their houses, if not destroyed, allowed to fall down.
To the left, running down from the top of the knoll, is a much more substantial stone wall. It was built by the tenant of the sheep farm to make way for which Choire Mhuillinn was cleared of its people. Finally, and much more recently, just this side of it, there is a high deer fence.