Tuesday 3 August 2010

Kilchoan Sunshine

I don't get many comments on the Diary's entries - so few, in fact, that if it weren't for the 'Flag Counter' which purports to keep a log of everyone that visits this site, I might start to worry that I'm doing electronically what I'm quite accustomed to doing vocally - talking to myself.

But today I received a very welcome comment on Sunday's entry, from a visitor to Kilchoan from that lovely county of Norfolk, the home of my paternal ancestors, seafarers who, when they weren't pillaging ships which had wrecked themselves on the Caister coast, were up here off the west coast of Scotland stealing the local herring.

The visitor describes how he saw a strange light in the sky. He was so excited he took news of his sighting down to the Kilchoan Hotel, where someone told him it might have been the sun. It can't have been anyone local, because, as far as Kilchoan is concerned, there's nothing strange about sunshine - we always have plenty of sunshine here.

It comes in two varieties: sunny sunshine and Kilchoan sunshine. We have rather more of the Kilchoan type than the more normal - to Norfolk - type, but it's just as nice. It may be a bit wet, it does have a habit of being accompanied by rather strong winds, and the sky does have a nasty habit of being grey when we're enjoying it, but it's sunshine.

So Kilchoan can probably boast a sunshine record to rival that of the central Sahara or the Atacama Desert - getting on for 100%. And when you consider that, because we are much further north than Norfolk, in summer we get almost 24 hours of daylight, we probably get almost twice as much summer sunshine as those more dismal places in southern England.

7 comments:

  1. Jon
    Please rest assured you are not talking to yourself, however if I were to post more often my daughter would acuse me of "stalking" On my return from work everyday I turn on the laptop and eager look for new entries. Who ever gets home first then has the opportunity to gloat that they have seen the blog.Thank you so much Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to reassure you John that I read your diary every day. It is something I look forward to in the evening after a day at work.
    I enjoy your entries immensely. They make me feel as though I am almost in West Ardnamurchan where I have stayed at the lighthouse over the last eight years.
    You observe and write about the things which excite and interest me when I am able to be in the area - the sunsets, the wind and rain, the passing shipping, the wildlife. the local lifestyle and the walks.
    Thank you for all the time and thought that goes into your daily entries - I for one really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary from Glasgow10 August 2010 at 21:27

    Dear Diary

    Since finding your site linked from the BBC news web site recently (coverage of the Yeoman Bontrup fire), you've had a permanent place in my RSS feeds. It took a little while to actually start reading the posts, but I have quicky come to look forward to your little insights. June 2008 was the last time I hauled my lazy carcase north to your little corner of heaven and I'm really getting a notion to do it again - largely thanks to the freshness of your posts.

    Thanks - and keep doing what you're doing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks to you all for your kind comments. I enjoy running the Diary, and I'm so pleased it gives people pleasure.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having visited Kilchoan for the first time last year, and rebooked to return this year, we are so pleased to have you doing this amazing site, memories come flooding back, and the facts and pictures you are showing are amazing and certainly give us new ideas for places (and people) to visit when we arrive back with you in august, cant wait to visit again and keep up the good work pauline, geoff and gemma from middleton in teesdale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't give up on your postings; they are very enjoyable!
    My husband and I stayed in the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and were in Kilchoan in September. We thought it was stunning country!!! We hope we can return someday.
    Barbara Vinocur
    Traverse City, Michigan USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. very much enjoying this website after it was recommended to us by friends last week - we're due up in Strontian for a weeks holiday next week and hoping the fantastic weather you're having up there will hold for us - some great photos on this website too, really looking forward to seeing some more wildlife ourselves

    ReplyDelete