Saturday 14 August 2010

Bumble Bees

It's typical really... the nicest weekend weather-wise we've had all August in Kilchoan is the weekend my parents go away to London...where it might well be raining right now. My poor Mum! She's been looking for this weather to go for a swim in the sea, and she's probably going to miss it.

Anyway, here's a photo of another big fan of the nice weather - a bumble bee in Ormsaigbeg. I read an interesting article about bumble bees and crofting recently. Apparently certain crofting areas of the North West Highlands are sanctuaries for bumble bees, but were even more so in the past when crofters would move their sheep into the uplands, and the bees would make use of the empty fields. According to the article, bumble bees are struggling more so nowadays because the sheep are not moved in the summer, so there are some sharing difficulties.

Anyway, enjoy the weather everyone!

RH

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've recently discovered your blog, and I'm really enjoying reading it, particularly as I'll be holidaying in the area at the end of August. It's a fascinating and very informative insight into the area, and I can't wait to visit!
    Greetings from Yorkshire
    Emma

    ReplyDelete