Thursday 3 November 2016

The Curlew

"I'm pretending I haven't seen you but I have. You're disturbing me, and I don't like it.

"All I'm doing at the moment is sidling away, but the way you're getting closer and closer really bothers me, and I particularly object to your pointing that shiny contraption at me.

"In fact, if you take one more step I'll have to take flight, and if I'm forced to do that you'll get the usual long-drawn out, plaintive objection."

Curlews are the most wary of the shore birds, and seem to have a super-sense that warns them of human approach. This one was feeding on the beach near the Ferry Stores.

At this time of year they are still to be seen in ones and twos along the water's edge. As winter deepens, and the weather gets wetter, they'll start to form groups which are commonly found feeding in the sodden croft fields.

1 comment:

  1. One of our favourite birds Jon. It's always a thrill to hear our first curlew in the Yorkshire Dales, usually at the end of February/beginning of March.

    ReplyDelete