Mary was born in 1928, so her recollections go back to the early 1930s. Along with her brother and sisters, she attended Kilchoan Public School, as it was then called. She left without the opportunity of a full secondary education - in those days, going to secondary school was expensive for the parents, and the students had to travel to the High School in Oban, where they boarded for the term. So when Mary left school she worked in the village.
The family home was this house, Port Beag, on the Ormsaigbeg road. Mary's memories include details of how the croft was worked, the people who lived in the township, and daily life around the village.
The booklet, profits from which go to Kilchoan Community Centre, is on sale at the Lighthouse, the Ferry Stores and the Community Centre, priced at about £2.00.