Wednesday 25 April 2012

How to Hunt - 1

From Bandit's Diary

WARNING: Some images may cause readers distress.

Well, the best time to hunt is when the humans I look after are
out on the terrace eating lunch in the sun and ignoring me. An ideal opportunity arose yesterday....

....when I was absolutely certain I could hear something moving under the wooden rack where they put their horrible, smelly geraniums in summer.

There was only the tiniest of cracks along the back of the rack, but I was right: I could see a mouse underneath it. Mice aren't terribly intelligent, so the usual technique with them in such circumstances is to run them around a bit until they're paralysed with fear....

....something I succeeded in doing by chasing him up and down the rack. The trouble then was that I simply couldn't get a claw down to get him, so I decided to try from the front.

This meant lying at full stretch and feeling underneath, something which wasn't at all easy as I could only just squeeze my arm into the gap. But I was determined to succeed, particularly as I knew that my humans were sitting, munching their lunch and watching what I was doing with some apprehension.

I have to say that, however terrified he was, the mouse made a good job of keeping just beyond my reach. Whatever position I took, and whatever angle I tried to get at him, I just couldn't quite grab him. So I was on the point of giving up when....

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment