croft runs in a strip from the shoreline up to the area of open land, held in common by the crofters, called the common grazings. On the crofts near our house, the higher land close to the common grazings is little used and has yet to be invaded by the bracken and brambles which consume much of the lower land near the road, so it remains as open meadow.
clachan of Ormsaigbeg was cleared some time after 1828, the new croft owners had to build a stone wall to separate their crofts from the common grazings. Some of that stone wall has collapsed, and it varies in quality along its length - presumably depending on the skill of each crofter in wall-building. In this picture, a small gap in the wall is visible, once closed by a gate.
The Diary plans to spend time this summer up in this meadow land.