Monday 15 August 2011

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammers are one of Kilchoan's unexpected birds. Even in their drabber winter plumage, they're spectacular; the male, above, in his mating finery, is a fierce yellow, the female, below, much more muted.

The yellowhammer is a denizen of arable field and hedgerow, often found with chaffinches and other buntings working over the big fields of East Anglia after the wheat crop has been brought in. According to the RSPB's map, here, we should only see them in summer, but we have them here all the year round. Perhaps it is that with the yellowhammer in decline in their typical habitat because of the modern practice of ploughing in the stubble and planting before the start of winter, they're moving north - other people's loss is our gain.

Throughout last winter we had a least four coming to the seed we put out, with six the most we saw at any one time. This pair overwintered with us and are remarkably tame, now allowing us to approach quite close before they fly off. They're a useful feeder as they enjoy some of the larger grain in the bird mix, such as barley, that the other birds tend to leave.

3 comments:

  1. I think I have seen two Yellowhammers at my bird bath to-day(31/07/2015).I live on the south coast near Worthing and it is the first time ever that I have seen this bird in my life(I'm over 81).What a pleasure it was,perhaps they might call again.
    Lovely
    B.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your pleasure. We lived in Essex before we came here, and I well remember the first time I saw one, in a large arable field which had recently been harvested. Having them here on the west coast of Scotland is much more unexpected - yet they thrive. Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just seen 5 of these lovely birds for the first time! Including what I think was a pair & juvenile. Lets hope they choose to winter here (Tickton - East Riding)

    ReplyDelete