Tuesday 23 November 2010

Local Skills

From Pat Glenday at the University of Kilchoan

Our latest course, Quilting, was very successful. Twelve folk came and learnt to make an "Ohio Star". The teacher was Davina Heasman who is the mother of my colleague, Maria Townsend. Maria does the same job as me in Acharacle and Strontian, and her mum was teaching a class in Acharacle on the previous day.

It's amazing the talents that are tied up in this small community. My partner taught an art class, and my ex husband is running a creative writing course. Plenty of local folk have helped me out too, including Richard O'Connor with mower maintenance, Leslie Hind with car maintenance, Tom Bryson on keeping hens and polytunnel gardening.... I could go on and on

If anybody has a skill they would like to pass on, or a friend or a relative who visits and who might like to take a one-off class/workshop in something, then I'd love to hear from them. The College does pay its tutors (not a great deal but at least it's something) and some of them have opted to give their fees to charity, so everybody benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment