Wednesday 17 March 2010

Ducks & Drakes

Twice a day I walk round the bay below my house with my young collie who is water-daft. He loves swimming even on the coldest days when the edge of the sea is frozen. Rounding up waves seems to be more fun than rounding up sheep!

Recently he drew my attention to a sad sight, a male mallard - and all that remained of it was the head and feet. It was lying just above the high water mark, so I suspect it made a tasty meal for a mink, or maybe a fox.

There are far more sea-birds in the bay than I remember seeing. Several pairs of mallard, a good number of widgeon, many oystercatchers, and a grand sight - shellducks. First I saw one then in the next few days, two pairs which, when disturbed, flew straight over my head and off towards the pier. Such impressive sharp black and white markings. I have not seen them for some days, but do hope they return with the bigger tides.

The keen frosts that we have had since Christmas have certainly taken their toll on the machair. Huge junks have broken away. In fact it looks like a giant jigsaw-puzzle which, apart from little bits that have been washed away, could easily be put back together again, if you had the strength! The machair is grazed year round by some of Kilchoan township sheep, and they do well on it. It would be tragic to see it disappear.

The eider duck are due soon with their distinctive mating chatter. On a quiet evening you can hear them from a distance, and they sound almost human at times. Yes, spring is just round the corner - at last. PMP

No comments:

Post a Comment