Wednesday 7 September 2011

Invisible Beasts

'Kilchoan Early Bird' has sent yet more pictures for us to marvel at. This is the Tadpole Fish, Raniceps raninus, which lives at shallow depth in British waters, as far south as the Bay of Biscay, and as far north as Norway. It feeds on sea stars, crustaceans, worms and small fish. More about him here.

And this looks like a newt, possibly the Smooth Newt (also called the Common Newt). The Diary has never seen a newt in this area, so is extremely envious of 'Kilchoan Early Bird'.

Perhaps receiving pictures like these helps us all realise that there is a wealth of wildlife here that isn't large and visible, and spectacular as a result, but exists quietly in its own world and is only occasionally seen. How impressed people are when we say. "Oh, I saw a sea eagle today!", and how wrongly unimpressed when we say, "I watched a newt today, crawling across some grass!"

1 comment:

  1. Good afternoon, Jon.

    I'm having a look at the Kilchoan Diary which my son, Andrew (NZ), thoroughly recommends. I've seen your photograph of the newt and I have to tell you that I discovered one in my garden when my sister and I were at Four Winds a few weeks ago. I phoned George and described the wee creature I'd obviously disturbed whilst gardening. George reckoned from my description that it was a "baby" commond newt.

    Also, when my niece and her husband and children were at Four Winds during the summer, they came across a slow worm in the garden! We feel very privileged indeed.

    See you soon.

    Barbara More

    ReplyDelete