Sunday 18 April 2010

The Northern Lights

You don’t need to travel to Lapland to see the Northern Lights. Although a very rare occurrence, they can be spotted in Ardnamurchan, and one particular experience of them still remains a vivid memory.

I hadn't lived in Kilchoan for long when I was woken in the middle of the night by my Dad. He explained the Northern Lights were out and got me out of bed. One thing which is lovely in a village like Kilchoan is how if someone spots something exciting and unusual, they ring around other people with similar interests. So, wrapped in a blanket to help prevent me getting cold, I stood outside my house at the Ferry Stores looking up at the most eerie sight. The Northern Lights weren’t just above us, they were shining down all around us. Changing from green to pink, the light was not from the north at all, but like a misty spotlight. Being young, tired and incredibly freaked out, I hid back indoors after what was probably only five minutes of this extraordinary experience.

We haven’t seen this magnificent sight in many years because sunspot activity, which causes the lights, has been low. But I look forward to a night that we get a phone call to look outside at the Aurora Borealis again. Next time, I won’t be running inside and hiding.

RLH

Photo taken at Tromso, courtesy Osopolar on Wikimedia Commons For anyone interested in email alerts of sunspot activity, join AuroraWatch here - also super photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment