This picture shows the site of the original clachan, with the head dyke on the right. Two hundred years ago there would have been a huddle of small, thatched houses here, surrounded by fields held in common and, beyond them, miles of common grazings for the settlement's livestock.
The site is now a scheduled monument and is preserved because it shows so clearly the development of a clachan into a croft township. The buildings in the left foreground were the last to be abandoned, in 1941.
A history of Glendrian is here.
Ockle Holiday's website is here.